Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sieve-notify-xmpp-00.txt

2006-05-16 16:07:19

Dave Cridland wrote:

On Wed Jan 18 21:50:02 2006, Internet-Drafts(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org wrote:
    Title        : Sieve Notification Mechanism: xmpp
    Author(s)    : P. Saint-Andre, A. Melnikov
    Filename    : draft-ietf-sieve-notify-xmpp-00.txt
    Pages        : 7
    Date        : 2006-1-18

I think I might be the first person to comment about this on the list...

Quite possibly. :-)

It seems odd that the XMPP message stanza used here has no obvious
identification as a notification

Typically, notifications in XMPP are sent using type='headline'
(indicating that no response is expected).

specifically, XMPP, being XML based,
could hold (for instance) an OMA EMN, or some other XML element which
indicated that it was a notification, and ideally provided some
identification of what the account involved was.

Something like the following?

imap:user(_at_)host

Personally, I'd be happiest with a URI to the new message, where
possible, but i appreciate there's security concerns there.

What form would such a URI take?

IMHO the account and message identification considerations belong in
draft-ietf-sieve-notify rather than in the XMPP "profile" thereof (which
would simply provide an instantiation of those considerations).

If such an XML element were to be put in place, I'd find it nicer it it
contained the urgency as a normal XML attribute, rather than SHIM. I
just don't like SHIM.

I would not have deep objections to coming up with a more XML-ish format
(XMPP extension) for urgency.

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre