Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sieve-notify-xmpp-00.txt

2006-05-17 03:50:59

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

Dave Cridland wrote:

I think I might be the first person to comment about this on the list...
Quite possibly. :-)
It seems odd that the XMPP message stanza used here has no obvious
identification as a notification
Typically, notifications in XMPP are sent using type='headline'
(indicating that no response is expected).
specifically, XMPP, being XML based,
could hold (for instance) an OMA EMN, or some other XML element which
indicated that it was a notification, and ideally provided some
identification of what the account involved was.
Something like the following?

imap:user(_at_)host
IMAP-like URL

imap://user(_at_)host
?

Personally, I'd be happiest with a URI to the new message, where
possible, but i appreciate there's security concerns there.
What form would such a URI take?
Can be an IMAP (draft-ietf-lemonade-rfc2192bis-02.txt) or HTTP URL.

IMHO the account and message identification considerations belong in
draft-ietf-sieve-notify rather than in the XMPP "profile" thereof (which
would simply provide an instantiation of those considerations).
Maybe you are right, but I don't think that draft-ietf-sieve-notify can prescribe any particular URI type, because this would vary from one deployment/implementation to another.

If such an XML element were to be put in place, I'd find it nicer it it
contained the urgency as a normal XML attribute, rather than SHIM. I
just don't like SHIM.
I would not have deep objections to coming up with a more XML-ish format
(XMPP extension) for urgency.