3028bis status

2006-07-10 05:30:23

I finally got rev -07 posted in late June.  Changes from rev -06:
 1. Tweak wording of how :matches uses character definition
    of comparator
 2. Add security consideration regarding "redirect" as a notification
    method
 3. fileinto SHOULD reencode; mention IMAP's mUTF-7
 4. en;ascii-casemap is gone; switch back to i;ascii-casemap
 5. Permit non-UTF-8 octet sequences in strings
 6. Sort grammar non-terminals
 7. Syntactically invalid addresses don't match :localpart or :domain
 8. The null return-path has empty address parts
 9. Treat comparator result of "undefined" the same as "no-match"
 10. Envelope sender on redirects is implementation defined
 11. Change IANA registration template

The last open items are:
 a) figuring out exactly what to put in for IANA so they can update all
    the registry entries
 b) what's up with that UTF-8 thing anyway?

For (a), I just dropped by the IANA table and ran the question by them and the response was to simply state in the IANA considerations section the procedure that they should use to bring the old registrations in line with the new registration requirements. For the new "Description" field, the fields will be left empty and we should just poke registrants to submit a description via email. I'll roll in text for that to the next revision.

(b) is the continuation of change #5 above. That was in response to Ned's observation that you need to be able to put text in other character sets into strings for things like vacation's :mime option. E.g., usability may demand a site returning vacation responses in some ISO-8859-* charset.

The change I made, based on the mumbling in I heard in the audio recording of the meeting, effectively requires sieve implementations to handle such scripts by making it part of the grammar of legal scripts. Scripts are still required to use valid UTF-8 in comments, but strings are fair game. The description of sieve as respresented in UTF-8 (section 2.1 and elsewhere) needs to be dropped or amended. Other programs that parse sieve scripts (<cough> GUIs <cough>) are affected by this of course, but they really had to face it before.

Philip Guenther