Re: Invalid syntax to cause runtime error in encoded-character

2006-11-08 20:16:30

On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 16:08 -0800, Philip Guenther wrote:
On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
hmm, runtime isn't too appealing, but compile time would be nice.  this
actually depends on the order we process encode-character and variables.
if we do variables first (so "${hex:${var}}" works), it must be runtime.
if we do encoded-characters first (so "${v${hex:61}r}" works), it can be
compile time.

Hmm, I thought it was settled that encoded-characters were to always be
expanded before variables, such that encoded-characters could be
implemented purely in an implementation's lexer, or even via
pre-substitution.

okay, I wasn't sure it was settled, but I agree this makes the most
sense.

This should be stated in the variables draft, to avoid
creating a normative reference from 3028bis to variables.  Inserting that
shouldn't be a huge process issue.

right.  I'll probably have to remove the [REGEX] reference, too, unless
a miracle happens :)
--
Kjetil T.