Re: Invalid syntax to cause runtime error in encoded-character

2006-11-09 03:29:07

Hmm, I thought it was settled that encoded-characters were to always be
expanded before variables, such that encoded-characters could be
implemented purely in an implementation's lexer, or even via
pre-substitution.

okay, I wasn't sure it was settled, but I agree this makes the most
sense.

Not to me, I'm afraid.  To me, the concept of ${} as boundaries for
"magic inside" asks for strict inside-out evaluation of all magic
enabled by extensions.  Should we ever get new ${} extensions, do we
really want to specify a total order for all of them?

Michael