Sieve include, 'global scripts' and managesieve

2006-11-26 15:04:28

Hi Cyrus and list,

One of the issues raised in San Diego was how to upload scripts meant to
be included with 'include :global'. A request that's been made more than
a few times on the DBMail mailing list is to have sieve scripts that are
always run during message delivery, controlled by the mail administrator
rather than individual users.

Has this idea been discussed before? Does anybody have an implementation
that runs 'global scripts' in this way?

I am inclined to believe that this is a good idea, and that basically I
need a dummy postmaster user to own the global scripts and mark one as
active, to be executed prior to the user's delivery scripts.

The special considerations I can think of are that the implicit keep
does not cross between the postmaster script and the user's script,
except in the case of a reject. That is, if the postmaster does a
fileinto, discard, keep, redirect, whatever, this affects only the
"postmaster's copy" of the message. A reject should trash the message
and cancel the user's delivery, however.

Hmm. Can of worms? Can we tease out a consistent behavior? Would
recommending a dummy postmaster user solve the managesieve question for
global scripts?

Thanks,
Aaron