Re: AD review of draft-ietf-sieve-3028bis-12

2007-03-29 21:42:20

Alexey Melnikov wrote on 3/29/07 18:15 +0100:
After discussing this with Cyrus: chairs would like to publish -12 +
RFC-editor's notes.

That's fine. Send me RFC-editor notes I can paste into the ballot and I'll push the draft forward.

The following with my technical participant's hat on:

Section 2.10.5

  Implementations MUST NOT execute at all any script which requires an

Perhaps drop the "at all"

The text is trying to prevent people to do partial script execution. Any
suggestions how to improve the text?

Perhaps:
Implementations MUST NOT execute any Sieve script test or command
subsequent to "require" if one of the required extensions is unavailable.

Section 5.1 ***

There's some tricky interaction with IDN and EAI here.  It could be
clarified with text like: A Sieve implementation for use with Internet
email MUST support the use of IDN-encoded domain names [IDN] in the
key-list.

Isn't this implied? I mean any ACE-encoded IDN domain name is a valid ASCII
domain name.

This is implied only as long as the SMTP infrastructure is 7-bit. But the present Sieve spec is written in such a way that it could be applied to an 8-bit infrastructure (such as XMPP or future UTF8SMTP which EAI will produce). So the question is do we want the ability to move a Sieve script from a 7-bit infrastructure to a UTF-8 infrastructure and have it continue to function in the same way?

My technical preference is that user Sieve scripts should keep working when the infrastructure is upgraded as I don't like disrupting users.

               - Chris