Re: Naming conventions for Sieve RFCs

2007-08-11 18:18:28

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 17:03 +0100, Nigel Swinson wrote:
Did we decide on a naming convention for Sieve extensions?

I don't think so.  when I brought it up a couple of years ago, there
wasn't much interest in such nitpicking :-)

We seem to have
either "Sieve Email Filtering: ..." or "Sieve Extension: ..." and I think it
would be helpful to be consistent.

I agree.

Looking for a precedent from the existing RFCs we have:

RFC3431 Sieve Extension: Relational Tests.
RFC3598 Sieve Email Filtering -- Subaddress Extension.
RFC3685 SIEVE Email Filtering: Spamtest and VirusTest Extensions.
RFC3894 Sieve Extension: Copying Without Side Effects.

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/sieve-charter.html lists the other
I-Drafts out there for Sieve and I think "Sieve Email Filtering: ..." has
the majority vote just now.

it's odd to count unpublished drafts, IMHO.  I obviously prefer the
shorter "Sieve extension".  But if you're looking at them, note the
"Sieve notification" drafts -- they're not called "Sieve Email
Filtering: mailto notification mechanism" etc.

That means we should change these if possible:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sieve-variables
Sieve Extension: Variables

I would rather not put my name on a document which uses the misspelling
"email", which is actually an old name for "enamel".  it should say
"e-mail" or just "mail".

--
Kjetil T.