Re: Filtering on raw (non-decoded) headers?

2008-02-14 08:18:53

        Hello Rob,

If somebody does not want to accept headers with Cyrillic characters, s/he has to list all character sets allowing Cyrillic characters, including UTF-8. For me this job is more for a per-user spam filter, than to Sieve.

Nevertheless, I think that including an option raw in test envelope, supposes introduction of a similar option in test body, draft-ietf-sieve-body-07, Section 4.2. ":content".

        Със здраве,
                Дилян

Rob Mueller wrote:

I see nothing wrong to encode ordinary ASCII headers with ?koir-8?
style. If you want to check against headers containing Cyrillic letters,

While that's in theory true, it's in practice rare.

Still maybe they know that they converse with no-one that ever uses any Russian encoding system with their email client, so blocking all koir-8 headers is still a reasonable action.

if header :contains "subject" "е" { ... }
shall do the work, where "e" is Unicode 0435.

I presume "e" (unicode 0435) is a common character in Russian text. Still there's no guarantee that a Russian header will contain an "e" (unicode 0435) in it.

It doesn't get past the point that there is still no way to look at the raw undecoded header even if you wanted to for some other reason.

Am I missing something? Was that intentional in the spec?

Rob