Re: draft-ietf-sieve-managesieve-00.txt is to replace draft-martin-managesieve-12.txt

2008-10-21 14:58:31

On Oct 21, 2008, at 4:20 AM, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

Alexey Melnikov writes:
I think the new syntax is backward compatible, but kolab/kontakt would need to be updated if they want to support the new syntax.

BTW, do you have an email address(es) handy for kolab people?

konold(_at_)erfrakon(_dot_)de would do, I guess.

A new command is the cleanest way. CHECKSCRIPT.

I agree this is cleaner. But it has to be an extension (which is fine in this case)

My intuitive preference is to make an extension, say that server MUST implement it, explain that it is an extension only because past versions of the document didn't contain CHECKSCRIPT, and maybe put warnings into this extension. (I haven't looked at how you did warnings in today's draft.)

+1 for a new mandatory command.

Probably does need to be defined as an extension because there are a number of extant implementations. I thought someone said that we're breaking use of PUTSCRIPT for syntax validation, but I didn't see where that happened in a (very) quick read of the draft. If we make a change like that, I think it's reasonable to add CHECKSCRIPT without advertising it.

I'll note that the ABNF for PUTSCRIPT still allows a blank name:

command-putscript = "PUTSCRIPT" SP sieve-name SP sieve-script
sieve-name = string
quoted = DQUOTE *1024QUOTED-CHAR DQUOTE ;; limited to 1024 octets between the <">s

Aaron