Re: Comments on draft-melnikov-sieve-external-lists-02.txt

2009-07-19 15:35:41

Ned Freed wrote:
[...]

There are basically two ways to address one. One is to say "some combinations
of :list and variaus MATCH-TYPES" are going to fail in some cases".
Alternately, we can simply say "the MATCH-TYPE is implied by the list itself,
and :list is therefore best thought of as a MATCH-TYPE".

I strongly prefer the latter. The former has least astonishment violation
written all over it. It also fails to allow for lists whose underlying match criteria do not align with existing Sieve match types, and there are a LOT of those; prefix match, suffix match, IP address pattern matches, etc. And before anyone suggests defining new match types for these, allow me to point out that in some cases the ynderlying match types allowed from some sources are open
ended and extensible.

Would we need to have :list-is, :list-matches, :list-contains, or can we get away with just :list, which would check for the exact match?