Re: [sieve] Poll: how to report Sieve runtime errors to the user?

2010-08-24 11:38:46
> > The reason I brought this up is that my own implementation is currently
> > very limited and unsuitable for virtual users: it writes an error log
> > file in the directory where the main active script is located (typically
> > in the user home directory).

> I don't know what a "virtual user" is or why being one makes error
> handling difficult, ...

Virtual users are those that are no actual system users and therefore
(typically) have no shell, ftp etc. access to the system. My log files
are thus not available to virtual users. Providing access to these logs
would require some more effort (given that these are currently not
mailed to the users).

Then all our users are virtual users. I think this is now the norm. And while
providing log access may meet the letter of the requirement, I think it falls a
bit short on the user friendliness side.

> ... but FWIW, in our implementation every Sieve script has an associated
> "responsible address". For a user Sieve this is simply the user's own
> address,
> for Sieves associated with an entire domain it's the domain
> postmaster, for
> system Sieves it's an administrator address. If there's an error, it's
> reported
> by sending a message to the responsible address, whatever it may be. Such
> messages are themselves exempted from Sieve processing, which prevents
> loops.

Right, that is sensible. However, in the arguably rare but not
impossible case that a single Sieve frequently fails with a runtime
error caused by a single problem, a message is sent to the responsible
person on each failed delivery. I think this situation should be
accounted for somehow.

I remain unconvinced that this is worth worrying about. Again, operationally
speaking this has been a complete nonissue for us. To the extent we've had
issues with Sieve error reporting, they've always been of the form, "I got this
error, what does it mean?" (What it usually means is that the Sieve didn't get
built properly by whatever front end interface is in use, and since often as
not people don't even understand that Sieve is what underlies all this, they
don't understand what messages saying stuff like "fileinto used without first
being activated with a require or ihave" mean.)