Re: [sieve] WGLC: draft-ietf-sieve-external-lists-06.txt

2011-04-12 14:48:51
Hi Ned,

--On April 12, 2011 10:33:09 AM -0700 Ned Freed <ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com> wrote:

If we want to officially
support date lists in this spec, then I think that needs to be mentioned
in the abstract and introduction, and described properly in section 2.2.

I strongly disagree with this approach. Trying to come up with a list of
possible things that can be stored in an external list is unnecessarily
proscriptive, not to mention confusing. If anything we need to move in the
opposite direction and be even less specific about how this will be used.

OK, I can support the more "generic" view of this as a list of "anything" (I guess my bias comes from the original starting point for this spec which was definitely based on the address book example). As you suggest perhaps there should be more examples - your IP reject one is worth including. Another might be (modifying Example 2 in RFC5703 - <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5703#section-9.2> ):

  require [ "extlists", "foreverypart", "mime", "enclose" ];

  foreverypart
  {
    if header :mime :param "filename"
       :list ["Content-Type", "Content-Disposition"]
         "tag:example.com,2011-04-11:BadFileNameExts"
    {
      # these attachment types are executable
      enclose :subject "Warning" :text
  WARNING! The enclosed message contains executable attachments.
  These attachment types may contain a computer virus program
  that can infect your computer and potentially damage your data.

  Before clicking on these message attachments, you should verify
  with the sender that this message was sent by them and not a
  computer virus.
  .
  ;
      break;