Re: [sieve] Sieve counterpart of IMAP SPECIAL-USE (RFC 6154) ?

2011-12-12 15:26:57
Hi,

On an IMAP server mailing list I participated in a discussion about the
new the IMAP LIST Extension for Special-Use Mailboxes (RFC 6154). In a
nutshell, this extension allows identifying special-use mailboxes to an
IMAP client. Special-use can for instance be a junk, trash, drafts, or
archive folder. This way clients can easily identify such folders and
use them without explicit user configuration.

At some point, the idea was raised to extend the Sieve language with
similar means. It could for instance be useful to have a special version
of the fileinto command that files the message into the default folder
for a particular special-use, e.g. `fileinto :special_use "\\Junk";'.
This can be particularly useful for global scripts outside the user's
control. Through metadata support it is already possible to find out
whether a folder has a special-use tag, but conversely it is not
possible to find out which folders have a particular tag or what folder
would be the default choice for that tag (note that the notion of a
default folder for a particular special-use is missing in RFC 6154,
which may be a problem).

My question is: do you think it is useful to have a Sieve SPECIAL-USE
counterpart? And in what form?

I asked around here at Oracle; everyone things this is a great idea and the
:special_use approach seems fine.

RFC 5228 already allows lots of flexibility in handling fileinto error
conditions, I suggest continuing that approach in handling special
use name failures. FWIW, our implementation fall back to INBOX delivery
when presented with a fileinto that's found to be problematic for some case.