Re: [sieve] Duplicate test

2013-01-20 06:57:49
On 1/16/2013 11:36 PM, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
On 14/01/2013 12:23, Stephan Bosch wrote:
Hi,

A while back I built a non-standard Sieve extension for detecting duplicate message deliveries, e.g. as seen when people cross-post over multiple mailing lists. This functionality is very similar to what could be achieved with Procmail using formail -D. Someone requested this at some point and in a moment of boredom I built the initial implementation. Last year I extended it a bit and I made it more generic. I never intended for this to be standardized, but - now that I look at it again - I think this may yet be of some interest to other Sieve implementers as well.

I make a habit of documenting my custom Sieve extensions in a familiar RFC-like manner:

http://hg.rename-it.nl/dovecot-2.1-pigeonhole/raw-file/tip/doc/rfc/spec-bosch-sieve-duplicate.txt

What do you think? Would you be interested in having functionality like this standardized? Should I submit this as a draft?
I think this would be worth standardizing. Some comments on the document:

1). I think the text motivating existence of this extension needs a bit of restructuring: it first introduces a very generic concept of matching and only later it talks about duplicate suppression. I would reverse that: describe some specific use cases first, then generalize.

Agreed. I'll revise that in the next version.

Regards,

Stephan.