Re: What semantics are conveyed

2004-03-10 04:41:59

The one major objection I had to what was said in the LMAP document is
all the vague references to "changing semantics".  I don't see how any
of the LMAP proposals seriously change any semantics, and this phrase
seems to have been latched onto and blown out of proportion by various
people.  (Mostly people I don't recognize being involved discussions
on SPAM-L, NANAE, ASRG, SPF-discuss, etc.)

There are those who hold that MAIL FROM data is sender identification
(claiming support from RFCs 2821, 821, 788).

There seems to be a school of thought that holds that *use* of
MAIL FROM data for anything other than (more than) return-path is a change
of semantics. Some adherents hold that the RFCs are just plain wrong.

There's a pragmatic position - "I can, and am going to, use MAIL FROM data
as a basis for policy enforcement. So live with it."

If you can characterise other camps that I've missed, I'd be interested to
hear.

--
He who is determined not to be satisfied with anything short of perfection will
never do any-thing to please himself or others.