Re: Choice of SMTP headers

2004-03-22 06:57:45

Jon Kyme <jrk(_at_)merseymail(_dot_)com> wrote:

A quick grep through my logs shows that of about 18% of HELOs have
bad syntax and 25% use a name with no DNS (sample 250k HELOs).

   This is something eMail admins could fix quickly -- if they saw any
reason to...

   We pretty much _need_ HELO for the case of bounce messages received
(as opposed to errors generated during SMTP-sending sessions). Otherwise
there's nothing the admin of the domain sending the bounce can do to
assure us that it's a legitimate bounce.

   Other uses for checking the HELO will no doubt show up. At this point
it's not important to specify them -- only to design for expansion.

   I don't believe we'll be recommending returning an error to the HELO
(without waiting for MAIL From); but recall our purpose is not to design
"the" way everyone must do things: it's to enable eMail admins to pass
information out-of-band.

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>