Re: ISP Mail Hosts on Black Lists (was "Re: Input on identities")

2004-04-03 19:45:03

Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

Philip Miller wrote:

I wrote just a minute ago:

Greg Connor wrote:
This is true, I think, and it already happening to some extent... known-dialup or known-dynamic space is treated with prejudice by AOL and some others already. Bad or missing rDNS is already treated with rejections in many places now.

I have experienced this first hand. If you look at Received headers in mail coming from me, you'll see that my mail is routed through comcast.net's 'smarthost', because of that prejudicial treatment. Unfortunately, there are certain issues with this arrangement. In particular, their outgoing hosts have on occasion wound up on blacklists.

Here I'm talking about known-{dialup,dynamic} discrimination, not rDNS. Actually, my rDNS is perfectly in order, it just doesn't match my HELO name.

i.e.:
My MTA calls itself fda.zemos.net
fda.zemos.net resolves to the address it would be seen connecting from
The PTR for this address in .in-addr.arpa space is a FQDN
That FQDN resolves to my IP.

I guess to prove this point, Greg, nekodojo.org's MX rejects based on SORBS listings. Conveniently, one of comcast.net's servers is listed this month, and apparently is not eligible for automatic removal. Have a look at
<http://www.dnsbl.us.sorbs.net/cgi-bin/lookup?IP=216.148.227.85>.

My ultimate goal here is to be able to send mail directly from my private MTA, using my domain name, for which I am fully responsible, rather than relying on Comcast to keep things straight.

If this data is stored in rDNS, then gaining access over the rDNS space would give you an ability to run your own MTA. If it is a DUL list, than you will have no access to it.

No, this is data about the IP of comcast.net's outgoing host. If you look at the link I sent, it shows that someone sent a message to a SORBS spamtrap address.

Because of the above discrimination, I am forced to send through Comcast's MTA. This MTA got blocked for sending 'spam'. Thus, my mail being blocked is collateral damage.

Any proposal that would give my MTA more legitimacy, specifically at the domain level, would be a good thing, because I might be able to send directly rather than through Comcast.

Philip Miller