Re: ISP Mail Hosts on Black Lists (was "Re: Input on identities")

2004-04-03 20:41:59

Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
Allow me to explain myself. If instead of DUL lists, ISPs would use MTA MARK-style in-addr.arpa entries in rDNS for marking dialup accounts (not the regular rDNS IP check), then you gaining access over your rDNS space would let you "opt-out" your machine from the list. But if the DUL list is not accessable to you, then you are forced to route email over their smarthost or an external MTA.

OK, understood. Unfortunately, the way Comcast operates, along with many other residential ISPs, users will never gain control over their rDNS records. I would strongly recommend against suggesting such a hypothetical in any draft or porposal. On the other hand, if we produce an integrated proposal encompassing MTAMark and the full range of SPF, then we can suggest not rejecting a connection on the basis of MTAMark-style information.

Philip Miller