Re: User experience

2004-04-06 18:32:50

Harry Katz wrote:

With respect to the charter of this working group, in my opinion this
means we must focus our efforts at the From line of the message. That's
what the end user sees, so that must be our base case.

I would disagree. We should focus on what can provide the most benefit for reasonable cost. As DNS-based authorization of From: breaks list expansion and since list expansion is important and widespread, the deployment of DNS-based authorization of From: will be significantly limited. This limited deployment significantly reduces the overall benefit.

It may well be possible to address the list expansion issue or it may be that the overall benefit is high enough despite limited deployment, but that is not immediately evident.

2. If we can't validate the domain of the From header, then we must
inform the user that we validated something else.

Again, I would disagree. The end user benefit of validating the Return-Path is that the user receives significantly fewer bounces from messages they never sent in the first place. The end user receives this benefit without needing to be informed that any sort of validation has taken place.