Re: Input on identities

2004-04-07 14:36:32

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 02:37:24PM -0600, Doug Royer wrote:
Here is the problem that virtual and co-hosting sites often face:

This isn't a problem IMHO.
There are at most 1% dynamic DSL users that want to run MTAs. For the
bigger well of all Internet users they can't any more. If they want to
make eMail from home.virtual-1.com they can route via their MTA on the
static address hosting.virtual-1.com and inject with SMTP AUTH and
retrieve with POP3 and IMAP or they can use the MTA of their ISP.

I do not think that forcing the reverse DNS records is manageable by ISPs.

We do, and managing revDNS is no problem.

I do not think that most (all?) hosting sites will be able to comply to
that
if it were a requirement.

Exactly why? Instead of putting
    server0815-4711
into DNS they could as well put the name the customers wants in there.
They have management interfaces for the hosting servers allowing their
customers everything including the choice of banner servers, so where is
the problem adding a module that updates the hostname in revDNS via
nsupdate?

Many ISPs oversell their dial up account 100:1 or more to static IP
addresses (Think $$ per IP).
I do not think they will ever care to increase their IP costs to 1:1 to
each dial up customer
that has an MTA.

99% of the dialup customers don't even want to run a MTA. They don't
even know what a MTA is or how it works. They send mail via their ISP
or Mail Service Provider and poll it from there via IMAP or POP3 or
read it via WebMail.

facing that problem. I have had a very hard time blocking music stealing
software
for one of my customers as the server sites accept their connections on
ALL ports.

This is a very good example NOT to allow MTAs on dynamic address space ;)

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299