Re: Input on identities

2004-04-07 15:05:07

Pete,

Then we should question why this is so and if it is needed or if it
can be handled by their ISP as well.

PR> That means constantly coordinating with the ISP as to which IP
PR> addresses are and are not MTAs.

In general, each required change for interaction between two
administrations is an invitation for non-adoption.

The situation where IP based lists will not work is for MTAs on
dynamic address space. The question is whether we should encourage
hosting MTA on dynamic address space with regard to stability and
the spam problems we encountered over the last decade.
PR> I have to wonder whether IPv6 is going to change the answer we might
PR> give to such a question.

I am hard-pressed to see how IPv6 is going to change much of anything,
concern basic design, administration and operations.

None of its mechanisms attack this sort of issue directly (and I think
they do nothing indirectly.)

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>