Message Level Authentication

2004-04-19 17:55:12

Hello all,

After watching the back and forth on this list for the last several months I
just wanted to join in and get some feedback as to why no one is discussing how
to answer the one fundamental question, "Did you send me this email" and why no
one has come up with the answer "Just ask me and I'll tell you" (at the machine
level)?

Please take a look at www.messagelevel.com and give us some feedback.

These ideas are based upon patent filings and prototype systems several years
in the making.  Message Level also distributed a whitepaper (which is fully
documented both publicly and privately) to several of the "major players"
before the stories abruptly changed from "we are working on message filtering"
to many of the current ideas you see circling now, which seem to be very
quickly migrating to the Message Level Patent Pending process.

Sure there is a chicken and the egg problem here (but no more than anything
else being discussed), as well as bandwidth concerns (no more than a normal
"Mail From" test) and database concerns (which are a much better alternative
than having to rewrite dns or the smtp protocol), but the idea is the most
reliable and secure method of stopping all of this craziness. If there is one
thing we have learned over the years is that technology just gets better,
quicker, and more stable as time goes on.

We do feel as though we are getting resistance from the "larger players"
because this system does have several Patent filings in place and they would
like to make the idea their own. However, we want to be perfectly clear that we
are willing to work with anyone interested in solving one of the largest
problems on the Internet today.

We are finalizing our prototype systems to the API's of major email systems and
should have those rolled out by the end of this Summer.  We are also going to
be making publicly available via our website and partners a client-side
application that addresses the Message Level process without the need for a
email server implementation.  Thereby enabling users to choose their own
anti-spam system to validate and secure their email.

We would love any comments and participation by anyone seeking to address this
problem.

Thank you

Bill McInnis