Re: Can you ever reject mail based on RFC2821 MAIL FROM?

2004-04-27 10:50:21

On 27 Apr 2004, at 16:58, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

Accreditation is out of scope here, but MARID is a component of a
spam solution not a complete solution in itself.

Today       MARID + Spam filter   = improved spam situation
Future      MARID + Accreditation = The end of spam

My question then, if the MARID you propose is a whitelisting
mechanism,
is what is the difference between "Spam filter" and "MARID + Spam
filter"?

Accuracy.

MARID + Spam filter will eliminate 100% of false positives in the case
that the sender can be authenticated AND authorized.

Yes, I understand this. MARID doesn't propose anything to do with authorization though, so you confused the issue for me (and I hope others). Without authorization this way of looking at MARID buys you nothing as far as I can see.

This *is* different to the SPF proposal (and other LMAP schemes that propose to reject on MAIL FROM), which aim to stop invalid bounces for mail I didn't send.

Matt.