Re: Can you ever reject mail based on RFC2821 MAIL FROM?

2004-04-27 17:11:46

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 03:05:14PM -0700, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
| > are going to be selecting algorithms, I think it is very important for
| > domain owners to either be able to select the identities, or maybe
| > better, to select the algorithms that they want the MARID data to be
| > used for.
|
| This does not work. The domain owner can't select the algorithm,
| only the receiver can decide what checks they are going to apply.
| they won't know what the policy is until they check the domain
| name in an identity.

I agree with Phill here.

There's no telling what receivers will do; but the only thing we know is
that if we don't give them something specific, they're guaranteed to do
what we don't want.

If we give them a solid algorithm and emphasize "okay, this is what we
recommend, if you leave the path all bets are off" then we have at least
a fighting chance.

Then we can define sender profiles for each constituency and tell them
what changes they need to make to remain compliant, and by when.

For example:

Dear Receivers: "here is the Caller-ID algorithm for 2822 verification".

Dear Senders: this is what you need to do.

Dear Forwarders: this is what you need to do.

Dear Mailing List providers: this is what you need to do.