RE: RE: Can you ever reject mail based on RFC2821 MAIL FROM?

2004-04-28 06:31:07

Well, no.
If we consider evaluating the message example you gave,
Firstly, we (as the
receiver) might get the record for Useless.com, we see it
applies to 2821,
so we throw that in. Next, we may need to consider 2822 stuff
so we get the
record for Bonkers.com and find out it says no_2822, so we
skip along to
the other domains.

This is the bit I don't get. if you are going to use
useless.com for the 821 From and you don't want to check 822
bonkers.com why would you bother with a record at all?

The only use I could see here would be to disable bounces,
which is not such a bad idea, I send all mine to the bit
bucket unread.

I don't know that this is realistic. Is there anyone
concerned about the
use of their name in only 2822 or only 2821 and unconcerned
about other
use? If yes, the pubisher needs to be able to limit the
applicability of
their record. But it wouldn't be so bad if MARID provides a
facility that
ends up never being used, would it?

In other words you want a facility that allows you to turn
off bounce messages but not work above that level.

I think that as a requirement it could be reasonable, it is
kind of like a different strictness level and we already
have the idea of a strictness level insofar as there is a
'test' level and a 'production' level. A 'bounces only'
level would be midway between.

I think we also need a completeness indicator, so you can
say 'this is the complete set of my outgoing MTAs or
these are member of the set of my outgoing MTAs'.

                Phill