Re: Semantics and Syntax

2004-05-11 09:15:50

In <p06101111bcbecceafe29(_at_)[216(_dot_)43(_dot_)25(_dot_)67]> Pete Resnick
<presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> writes:

   1b. A flexible language like "a mx ptr" can save me a step when
adding MTAs later.  The actual language is not important, but
"flexible mechanisms" is an important feature to me

I'm less convinced about this. It is surely a departure from most
existing things that can be expressed in the DNS. I don't really want
servers to be in the business of "resolve foo, get bar, resolve bar,
get baz, resolve baz, get (the answer or something else to resolve)."
I'd like to see us do at most one or two steps as the normal state of
affairs (i.e., getting back addresses or domain names that can be
resolved doing an A lookup).

During the last Jabber session, Pete Resnick raised concerns about not
just the amount of traffic that such things as the SPF "mx:" mechanism
creates, but also about things like congestion control.  Pete mentioned
that he might try to get people like Ned Freed and Rob Austein's
comments about this kind of thing.

I confess that I really do not see the issues you are talking about,
so I'm likely missing stuff.  Can anyone elaborate on this subject?
Can we get Ned or Rob involved here?

-wayne