RE: The Computational Load of MARID

2004-05-14 07:58:47

John Leslie wrote:
I find it worrysome that we're proposing things like
"v=spf1 mx -all"
meaning that the receiving MTA is expected to pull
the entire list of MX records, resolve them to IP
addresses, and check whether the one IP address of
interest is in that set. This could be more
computational (and network) load than just
receiving the message.

The computational load does not seem that high to me, especially
compared to virus scanning or Bayesian filtering.

Network traffic could be significant; I will point out though that it
would be comparable to checking against multiple RBL lists, which we
already do. If the mechanism offers value, the necessary resources will
be allocated to it. I don't like the cost-shifting towards the receiver,
but..

The task of parsing "ease-of-advertising" strings
into DNS records could be automated with a PERL script.

What would you do instead of "v=spf1 mx -all"? Put the IP address
instead of "mx", saving the receiving MTA the task of looking it up?

Michel.