Re: Reuse of TXT : draft-ymbk-dns-choices-00.txt

2004-05-18 03:56:07

I think this thread may need some context to give it adequate framing.

Many of the proposals in MARID specify the reuse of TXT or SRV records, and many of the participants of this group insist upon it. To quote one person, anything else is a "non-starter".

However, this group's output will be reviewed by the wider IETF community as part of the standardization process, and there are many people in the IETF community who feel reuse of an existing RR is an architectural violation. They also may be of the opinion that MARID lacks the urgency or necessity to require such an architectural violation.

So, there are a couple of things this group can do:

1) Go head-to-head with DNS experts and debate their wisdom and technical conclusions, such as the validity of the DNSSec specification or RFC 3597. (I strongly recommend against this!)

2) Reuse an existing RR without addressing the stated concerns and take our chances.

3) Reuse an existing RR and rationally explain our decision against the stated concerns.

4) Define a new RR.

I hope that most find either 3 or 4 to be the proper path forward.

-andy