New RR type and "additional" records

2004-05-19 10:14:21

I thought of another consideration in the reuse-vs-new-rr discussion... that is "additional" or "helper" records. Usually when you do an MX query, you get the answer in the ANSWER section (like example.com IN MX 0 mail1.example.com) and you get additional information in the ADDITIONAL section (such as mail1.example.com IN A 12.34.5.6)

My understanding is that the program actually asking for the name doesn't read in the additional information at the same exact instant (because the function only allows one return type) but the cache on the server or itself or the first resolver in line keeps the additional information in the cache so it doesn't have to ask again.

So. If we do define a new RR type, we have the advantage of defining what additional/helper records should be looked up and passed along in the same request packet. If we end up recycling TXT or some other type, we have to accept the default server behavior and probably not get free info piggy-backed on the first query result.

Now, I really don't think that the total amount of DNS queries is going to stack up to a measureable amount, at least not when compared to the TCP session started by the email itself. I would much rather fire off 2-5 UDP DNS queries, if it means I have a chance of terminating the TCP connection early :) I just wanted to point out one small advantage that a new RR type might have.