RE: suggested new RRtype experiment

2004-05-20 11:01:20

It is not possible to do this on Windows. Publishing a new RR type, or
even querying for one, requires a rev to the OS.

The short of the reason is that (for whatever reason; please don't
flame) Windows only exposes type-specific DNS APIs; there thus is no way
to set or query for new types.

The same is true wrt the configuration of Windows DNS servers: the
parser for the file format (which is sometimes a file, sometimes active
directory), as well as the GUI wizard-like tool that one uses to edit
same, are each RR-type specific and have no provision for new RR types.

        Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org [mailto:owner-ietf-
mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Meng Weng Wong
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 1:03 AM
To: Greg Connor
Cc: IETF MARID WG
Subject: suggested new RRtype experiment

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 09:15:21PM -0700, Greg Connor wrote:

| My feeling is that reusing TXT (or SRV or A records for that matter)
is a
| bit of a hack.  It is acceptable, but not optimal.  Shifting the
label to
| add _spf or _ep or whatever is even more of a hack.  BOTH of these
are
| considerably-less-than-perfect replacements for getting our own
record
| type, which is IMO the RIGHT answer.

Could someone with Copious Free Time (probably meaning someone not
attending the meeting :) please do an experiment and try publishing a
MARID type record using existing but relatively up to date DNS server
software?  And post a commentary on the process and what you learned
along the way.  For purposes of this experiment, allocate yourself a
new RRtype preferably in the experimental space.  Getting to the point
where a dig returns an SPF record but with rrtype=MARID would be a
win.