Re: suggested new RRtype experiment

2004-05-20 12:49:31

I would add to this that WindowsUpdate makes releasing such patches very easy. Since I assume that MSFT guys were planning on releasing a patch for Outlook/Exchange anyway at some point for CID support, throwing in DNS support might not be more complicated.

While we are at this topic anyway, perhaps MSFT can look into supporting RFC 3579.

Yakov

william(at)elan.net wrote:

But then record being discussed is basicly same as TXT with its own RR type, so I doubt it would take long to program dns client and server to use it just like TXT (I would imagine it can be done within days) and Microsoft would release a patches then. The programs released for windows that want to use new record can just include the patch as part of their initial release and install it if it has not been done already. Similarly those running dns server (and microsoft dns server is not too popular even for those using windows machines) that want to publish the record can install the patch as well. Now after this initial patch to just read new dns rr type, Microsoft might want to work on DLL/API to be able to parse this record type and understand it (assuming you go for integration
of callerid with spf) but I would ask Microsoft to release this separately
and dont wait until such dll is written and release updates for dns asap.