Distilling Wildcards for MARID Monday

2004-05-27 13:39:44

On Monday, May 31, we will have another XMPP chat session.

Jabber room:  marid(_at_)ietf(_dot_)xmpp(_dot_)org
Date:  Every other Monday starting April 19
Time: 20:00 UTC
Your Time: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html? day=31&month=5&year=2004&hour=20&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

We are aware that this is a U.S. holiday.

We would like to discuss the topic of wildcards.

On the topic of wildcards, here is food for thought:

1) Should we make a distinction between functionality delivered via DNS wildcard vs. tree-walking by the application (either using SOA data or label iteration)? Are the advantages and disadvantages of a DNS wildcard vs. tree-walking by the application?

2) Given that DNS wildcards only match on non-existent names (not name and type), what is the functional difference between covering a non-existent domain name with a MARID record vs. no record at all?

3) Is there a need to have a MARID record for non-existent domain names when there is a need for an MX record for non-existent domain names? What are the use cases for an MX record for non-existent domain names?

4) If a wildcard-like function is desired, is iteratively dropping the left-most label by the application an acceptable solution? What are the advantages/disadvantages to this compared with using the SOA data?

-andy