RE: Distilling Wildcards for MARID Monday

2004-05-27 18:50:49

From: owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org [mailto:owner-ietf-
mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of John Levine
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 3:04 PM
To: ietf-mxcomp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Distilling Wildcards for MARID Monday

I think it would also be useful to have as part of the discussion
some
real world folk (presumably big ISPs, big DNS outsourcers, or the
like)
who's life would actually really and truly become unbearable were we
lack wildcard support at all. ...

Given that there are lots of people using wildcard MXes right now, I
think you need to offer a plausible argument that people wouldn't
object to losing a existing working facility, rather than the other
way around.

We wouldn't be losing any functionality at; we'd simply be not
exploiting a potential analogy. MX wildcarding continues to work
unaffected.

PHB pointed out in other mail why the analogy isn't necessarily a sound
one.

I'll further point out that there is a trade off here, namely of

        TXT in the domain itself

Vs

        TXT in some _ep subdomain or some such

We have to trade off the ability to easily use wildcards (the former
case) against avoiding collisions (the latter case) with both existing
uses of TXT records  as well as other new kinds of TXT-based data that
some other body might wish to publish in the future.

What I was asking for was, in effect, a factual quantification of the
costs involved, in order to be able better to judge the balance.

        Bob