RE: Wild card MXes and Microsoft

2004-05-27 19:24:25

I'm getting bit tired of hearing that we're screwing up Microsoft if we
don't do "blah", "blah", "blah" when in fact its the other way around.
But lets solve this all anyway.

Microsoft wants to implement MARID/SPF/Caller-ID, right?
Microsoft wants to do it in the way that is IETF compliant, right?

Currently there is no software available from Microsoft that can do MARID
(standards don't even exist yet), so in any case you'll have to develop
it and include as addition to your software, I'm assuming the software
would be Microsoft Exchange, right? So how long do you esitmate it will
take to add this functionality and make it available to customers?

If time it takes to add it to your application software is no about 1/2 of
the time that could be expected to add to Windows OS in general as part
of next optionpack/servicepack, etc. then I think  it would be better to
wait with release of software and work harder on making OS compliant and
then release both together. I dont expect wait period to be any more then
12 months and we can reasonable assume that it'll take lot longer for marid
records to propogate and be added to the net in large enough numbers to
make a difference anyway.

Besides I think the decision on inclusion of additional functionality into
OS is made often based on customer demand. In this case if Microsoft has
customers demanding SPF/Caller-ID functionality, this is good enough
reason to do it faster. If you don't have such customers, then you'll wait
with releasing this feature as is your right.

And as has been shown, the code necessary to support highier record types
is rather small. Microsoft will have to do it anyway if it wants to be
IETF compliant (and presence of Microsoft people on this list that
they do), so this is a very good reason to contact your dns library
development team and have them start right now.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks