Re: Wild card MXes

2004-05-27 23:00:58

On 5/28/2004 12:38 AM, Bob Atkinson wrote:

Windows DNS server has precisely two persistent storage mechanism: a
text file, or Active Directory. It is my understanding that neither of
them have mechanisms for storing non-builtin RR types. And as I said
previously, nothing you have demonstrated has indicated otherwise.

I just rebooted the machine -- the Active Directory entry was intact at
restart, so that storage works.

I created a similar entry in another zone and replicated it to the win2k
box, where it was stored in a textual zone file. That replica was written
as "UNKNOWN" and did not survive the reboot (once the zone copy refreshed
the data was back in memory of course). There's probably a couple of more
bugs in there somewhere too, but the primary test succeeded.

If there's no means of storing the data persistently (not to mention no
means of entering the data in the first place with the tools that
customers actually have available to them; certainly not the ones by
which each and every other aspect of DNS is admin'd

AD, DHCP and other applications only work via backdoor magic, and do not
make use of "the tools that customers actually have available to them",
putting this approach on par with embedded MS technologies (one could
argue that having the mail server ensure that the zone is accurate is a
feature regardless of any other bugs). If you mean to say that Exchange
doesn't use the same technologies as the rest of Windows DNS then I'll
have to agree with you.