RE: Wild card MXes

2004-05-28 08:18:04

Bob:

        It might help this discussion if you would conceed that it is
possible to get the Windows 2003 DNS to emit the right sequences of bits,
even though this capability does not exist in a form that is remotely
acceptable for production use in a windows environment.

Eric:

        Unlike the DNSEXT group the MARID group has to deal with the
Internet infrastructure as it finds it. A big part of that infrastructure is
Windows system administrators, most of whom either have no experience of
UNIX style management or rejected that style of management as obsolete. I
have plenty of experience with line mode operating systems, including UNIX,
I left that behind long ago along with mag tape reels and punch cards.

        The type of solution being proposed would not be acceptable to me in
a UNIX production environment. I would not accept there being more than one
source for the DNS master file.

        If you ask the average Windows admin to insert a script into their
startup procedure you are going to get some very negative reactions. There
are now two places where the administrator has to know about to find out
what the configuration of the system is. The worst possible situation is
when you have a system that can be reconfigured on the fly but reverts to an
old configuration when it reboots.

        We have a large number of administrators for our production Windows
machines. These run on a 24x7 basis so there is a minimum of four operators
for every part of the system. To run a script of the type suggested would
require a major internal effort. We would have to make sure that all the
administrators who might possibly be required to administer that system knew
about the script. We would have to make changes to the operating procedure
manuals, etc, etc.

        Entering the records via the GUI interface is a very different
matter. the operators merely need to make note of the fact that there has
been a configuration change in the system log book.

        Management of systems at the very large level starts to look very
much like management at the very small level.