RE: Wild card MXes

2004-05-27 22:34:42

If there's no means of storing the data persistently (not to mention no
means of entering the data in the first place with the tools that
customers actually have available to them; certainly not the ones by
which each and every other aspect of DNS is admin'd, not to mention the
dnscmd command line tool; your tool is not one we ship) then the Caller
ID / SPF data that an admin wishes to publish won't, for example,
survive a power failure.

Which makes publishing the info next to useless, forcing as it does to
in effect manually recreate at each boot. To say that, in effect, one
has to run a script with some third party tool each time in order to
make your DNS right is, er, well, not something one can ask customers to
do.

Windows DNS server has precisely two persistent storage mechanism: a
text file, or Active Directory. It is my understanding that neither of
them have mechanisms for storing non-builtin RR types. And as I said
previously, nothing you have demonstrated has indicated otherwise.

        Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric A. Hall [mailto:ehall(_at_)ehsco(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 10:26 PM
To: Bob Atkinson
Cc: Gordon Fecyk; ietf-mxcomp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Wild card MXes

I'm not sure I understand your question.

The RR exists in the zone and has been replicated to a bind 9 partner
successfully. You should be able to query arachnid.labs.ntrg.com from
outside yourself (verify that it is win2k by HTTP HEAD to port 80).

Stopping and restarting the server keeps the RR in the zone.

The "export to text" option doesn't work but that's not saying much
since
that data can't be used for anything related to DNS (all of the "same
domain name as parent" and SRV entries are equally useless).

Apart from that I don't know what you mean.