Re: Thought on DNS record types.

2004-05-27 21:25:13

On 5/27/2004 10:35 PM, wayne wrote:

In short, I think the problems with SPF usage of TXT records is far
 more theoretical (and esthetic) than practical.

They are not theoretical where they already occur, where they are
known to occur in reasonable adoption, and where they can occur
against all future collisions of other uses of TXT.

I have provided data that shows that SPF is not a problem in practice.
You have provided nothing but handwaving.

You have provided data which demonstrates that there are already practical
occurances of overloaded TXT RRs, and that there will probably be more.

Your data is also out-dated, in that the SPF 'team' is already committing
to adopt XML syntaxes which will be significantly larger than the text
sizes you tested.

As to whether or not any of this is relevant, that's interpretation. I
think the argument speaks for itself -- if the next five designers are as
equally stubborn about using TXT as you are, then of course overlaod and
collision is unavoidable. What proof do you offer that they won't be
equally as stubborn in their demand to purposefully create confusion?