Re: Towards resolution on Wildcards

2004-06-09 21:04:29

yes, yes, no, yes

I appreciate the semantic ugliness of overloading TXT records, but
after going around and around for months it seems to me that if we
want something that has any chance of being adopted, we need to use
TXT records, preferably prefixing the MARID data with a short magic
number string to make it easy to ignore foreign records.  Put the TXT
record in the actual domain, then wildcards will work consistently
with MX.

Down the road, I remain quite concerned about XML bloat and about the
practical question of how well the DNS will work if there start being
a lot of queries falling back to TCP.  So I'd suggest that the interim
TXT record be standardized ith a minimal set of info and leave the
extensibility for the MARID record or something else.  If queries are
going to fall back to TCP anyway, maybe it'd be better to define the
extensions as a URL since we already know how to cache http data.

Regards,
http://www.taugh.com

PS: I don't suppose the infamous MS resolvers support EDNS0?  Is it
on the list of things to add?

--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 330 5711
johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Mayor, http://johnlevine.com,