Re: Alternative to TXT or new RR was: Comments on draft-ietf-marid-core-01 xml use

2004-06-11 14:57:50

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 02:24:50PM -0700, Michel Py wrote:
As it appears their implementation is not compliant with RFC1464 (I did
not see any attributes nor equal sign), I would say it's ISC's problem.

Status of this Memo
   This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet
   community.  Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
   This paper describes a simple means to associate arbitrary string
   information (ASCII text) with attributes that have not been defined
   by the DNS.  It uses DNS TXT resource records to store the
   information.  It requires no change to current DNS implementations.

Nowhere in that document is anything that tell me I am REQUIRED to
use key=value pairs for TXT records.

If they are using a well-known set of attributes

There is no such thing as that as there is no registry.

This is too strong; what I meant is that we should have a list of known
attributes for the TXT record. Anyone wanting to use an attribute should
register it. Would this make the TXT record palatable for PS if
attributes were reserved for SPFID?

Believe me, you don't want to do a query for all TXT records of a entity
and then parse the 750 records and select the one that fits. And with
TXT records it's either all or nothing, just with any other RR type, too.

I really don't see the problem querying for
    ( _marid.example.com. , TXT )
    ( _marid._smtp._tcp._srv.example.com. , TXT )
And all those records have to exists for every host that is using its
name in an email address. So if you webserver is sending via script as
webmaster(_at_)www(_dot_)example(_dot_)com, www.example.com has to carry the
records and
if your mailserver is sending bounces as
postmaster(_at_)mail(_dot_)example(_dot_)com
mail.example.com has to carry the records, ...

Ok, I see a lot of problems, but that is another thread.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299