Re: Alternative to TXT or new RR

2004-06-14 22:52:36

Groan. The pros and cons of using TXT were discussed at the interim meeting, and if memory serves, no compelling argument for abandoning TXT was made, and compelling arguments against alternatives were discussed. Ed presented his arguments and few if any bought them. The alternatives were all shot down and Ed couldn't revive 'em, and the issues with TXT have all been addressed (e.g. by wayne's stats)! At least my (perhaps biased) recollection is that Ed backed down. Let's move on. (or squarely address the issues already raised, pro and con, instead of irrelevancies like "MARID can't claim the TXT record as it's <sic> own"). MARID is likely gonna use TXT; there's no alternative, the sky will not fall, and the issues are not dealbreakers.

Bob Atkinson wrote in the same thread:
Let's be clear; this is NOT the plan of record in the
current draft. Rather, MARID is claiming the COMBINATION
of a particular domain prefix and TXT as it's own.
"the current draft"? Let's be clear: a small subgroup of MARID is working on a particular draft; others are working on other drafts. There is nothing even approaching a consensus that suggests that any particular draft is 'the one'.

e.g. I think a poll on "Would you support a standard based on a merger of SPF and CID (using A, B and C from SPF and XML, E and F from CID) as a good solution to the problem MARID intends to solve?" would find that the majority answer would be NO.
If that isn't clear, then I hope there's a hum on this soon!

There was a hum at the last meeting, but it asked was basically: "Do you think it would be valuable to merge SPF's semantics with CID's use of 2822.From and the new RFROM, in a new set of specs with the layers broken out?"

wayne wrote:

Since
the interim meeting, all 2821 proposals are now out of scope.