rough consensus and working code

2004-06-15 09:35:52

Yesterday in the Jabber session, Marshall raised the issue that there
really doesn't appear to be a rough consensus in this working group,
and people are not working toward a compromise solution.  In fact,
people appear to be hardening their positions.  If this working group
can't reach a rough consensus, then it is unlikely that the IESG will
agree with any RFCs we try to publish.

I have to agree with this assessment.  There doesn't appear to be a
rough consensus.  However, the long standing IETF mantra has, to the
best of my knowledge, been "rough consensus *AND* working code".  What
we lack with most proposals is working code.

I think the lack of a rough consensus is in large part due to the lack
of working code.  Working code quickly dispels both wishful-thinking
and FUD.  Working code is a different way of expressing a proposal so
disagreements and misunderstandings about a proposal can be cleared up
by looking at the code and then either the code or the proposal can be
fixed to make things clearer.

The devil is always in the details.  As long as we continue to
consider proposals that don't have working code, we allow people to
nit-pick proposals that are complete, while glossing over the problems
with proposals that exist on paper only.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I strongly suspect that the IESG is going to
require working implementations of any RFC we submit as standard track
RFCs.  At some point before we select one or more proposals, we have
to have a near-finalized document with working code, preferably with
at least two different people/organizations creating code from the
spec.

I see three basic possibilities:

1) We stop talking about proposals that don't have working code

2) People putting forward proposals need to start publish code ASAP

3) We change the schedule to allow for more time.

Back in March, I made the following post which I will repost here:
http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg00617.html

It is a long post but, sadly, it has worn well with time.  Only a few
things really need to be changed.  I posted it before the Caller-ID
proposal came around, so please change the "Gordon, Hadmut, Markus" to
"Harry, Jim, Bob".  Also, since this was posted months ago, you need
to change SPF email checking from "5-50 million messages per *month*"
to "5-50 million messages per *day*"

I think it is sad that very little has changed in the intervening
months with respect to working code.  Working code is not only very
important, but something that can't just be whipped up quickly.  (Code
can be written quickly, but it is rarly working code.)

The final paragraph almost makes me want to cry.