Re: rough consensus and working code

2004-06-15 11:02:18

In <2A7BA78A-BEF1-11D8-B76B-000A95B3BA44(_at_)hxr(_dot_)us> Andrew Newton
<andy(_at_)hxr(_dot_)us> writes:

On Jun 15, 2004, at 12:35 PM, wayne wrote:
I have to agree with this assessment.  There doesn't appear to be a
rough consensus.  However, the long standing IETF mantra has, to the
best of my knowledge, been "rough consensus *AND* working code".  What
we lack with most proposals is working code.

I think implementations are a good thing, a very good thing.

However, RFC 2026 mentions that to get a Proposed Standard RFC
implementations are not required (though they are encouraged).  To get
a standard from Proposed Standard to Draft Standard, two separate
interoperating implementations are required.

*sigh*

Ok, for the second time in two weeks, I will quote the relevant
potions of RFC2026:

   Usually, neither implementation nor operational experience is
   required for the designation of a specification as a Proposed
   Standard.  However, such experience is highly desirable, and will
   usually represent a strong argument in favor of a Proposed Standard
   designation.

   The IESG may require implementation and/or operational experience
   prior to granting Proposed Standard status to a specification that
   materially affects the core Internet protocols or that specifies
   behavior that may have significant operational impact on the
   Internet.

I never said that we are *required* to have working code.  What I have
said is that I think that working code helps reach consensus and that
the IESG may likely consider MARID to "materially affect a core
Internet Protocol" and/or "have significant operational impact on the
Internet".

Personally, I think the IESG would be nuts not to require such testing
and that we would be nuts not to have all our ducks lined up in a row
before we go to the IESG asking for a PS RFC.  The requirements for
going from a PS to a DS are much higher, in particular needing two
implemenations of every feature and I suspect that the IESG will not
require that level of testing.

For a slightly longer discussion, see my earlier note at:
http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg01796.html

-wayne