Re: rough consensus and working code

2004-06-20 18:26:18

A perhaps redundant comment:

It would be nice if there was a rough consensus.
On 6/15/04 9:35 AM, wayne sent forth electrons to convey:

So, the first goal of SPF was to make it easy to publish SPF records.
The next goal was to make it easy for mail admins to adopt SPF and SRS
by creating easy-to-install plugins to the major MTAs.  It was decided
that any time there was a choice between making things easier for
domain owners and mail admins or making the job of writing SPF
implementations easier, the domain owners and mail admins should win.
Hmm. I think Meng's Unified SPF plan is a great move in terms of this second goal of making things easy for mail admins. I'm won over. We still use EHLO to select the domain to authenticate; we ditch the PRA and SRS. So our friends you were talking about DON'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING! The big German hoster just has to make sure that the EHLO its server sends out is a domain that has an SPF record that validates its IP (and reputation/accreditation). SRS doesn't need to be deployed!
In my proposal, most domains DON'T NEED  new DNS records AT ALL.
(And none of this RFrom stuff is necessary either.) Near lightning-fast deployment is feasible. And we're still providing and using M.A.R.I.D. effectively.
How cool is that?