RE: On Extensibility in MARID Records

2004-06-17 17:54:18

Greg Connor wrote:
Also, did you want to say a few words about other things that
might go in  _ep besides out nodes?  Now would be a good time
to bring that up too if so.

Things that I have considered in this space include:

1. For incoming mail, the nature and difficulty of computational
   puzzles that the domain respects as indicative of non-spammy
   behavior.

2. For challenge/response systems, information about the nature of
   challenges that might be respected by the domain.

3. Information about where and how to complain about mail sent by
   the domain.  (Arguably, this might be part of <out>).

4. For the benefit of MUAs in the domain, information about how to
   locate a message's Received header that was added when the
   message entered the domain. (Could be used to enable MUAs to
   perform MARID checks, instead of relying on MTAs to do it.)

5. Should opportunistic encryption ever become big, statements
   about what is supported.

Each of these is quite small. (1) would probably contain a small
identifier and an integer. (2) would contain just a small identifier.
(3) would probably contain just an email address (or possibly a URL).
(4) would contain a small string.  (5) may just be a boolean.  It would
be a rare domain that published all five of these, and I'd be very
surprised if the total XML bytes for all of these ever exceeded 100
bytes.

These are examples of possibilities (the ones that I know have been
discussed).  It's not a promise to do these (I, for one, think
challenge/response systems are a bad idea).  It's also not a promise to
do nothing but these.11

I would hate to side-track the discussion into the merits of each of
these.  I'm just responding to Greg's question about why there's room
for expansion here.

-- Jim Lyon