RE: Against Extensibility in MARID Records

2004-06-18 20:03:03

My gut feeling is that if you're forced to use your ISPs MTA against
your will (which boils down to being a residential cable/DSL customer)
then your ISP's reputation is going to be pretty low anyway (simply
becuase of the nature of virus infected and compromised machines that
exist on a typical residential broadband network).

Agreed -- in the short term. In the future, though, I think we may see a
drop in such activity, so the long term seems brighter to me.

Surely MARID makes more sense in a world where people (again)
configure their MTAs to deliver direct, rather than smarthosting off
their ISPs...?

For sure. For me, that's a primary goal -- a sort of rebirth of end-to-
end in email. If you can hold people (or at least groups under a domain)
responsible directly, there won't be so much policing neccesary.

Ari