Re: Against Extensibility in MARID Records

2004-06-21 08:16:27

I would like to state my own bias because of the historistical tradition and
design of all mail hosting and transport systems, not just the internet.
This is important, because no new considerations or design is going to alter
this implementation model.

Foremost, the traditional design for SMTP has been for all systems to follow
two fundamental rules, with the first being:

 Rule #1: Authentication is required for routing. No authentication required
for final destination.

Of course. the principle problem with the "anonymous-like" transaction
behavior with final destination mail has been the growth in the abuse,  a
problem I don't mind saying has been known and documented since the early
1980s.  However, the problem was not significant enough until the internet
was introduced into the public.   Which brings me to fundamental rule #2
that has its origins in the then new email provisions introduced in 1986
ECPA (Electronic Communications Privacy Act) related to email tampering and
altering the "intent of the user:"

 Rule #2: Mail Acceptance must be delivered or bounced.  It can't simply
disappear.

What does this rule mean from a implementation and product liability
standpoint, not just for mail transport systems but for all Interactive
Online Mail hosting systems dominate during the 1980s early mail days?

It meant that a rejection policy was legally acceptable at the user input
(online hosting) or for automated systems, at the transport level.   If the
mail was accepted for posting, then the system had a responsibility to
maintain a) the integrity of the mail (privacy for example), b) that it was
delivered and c) if it was not delivered, it be returned or a reason
provided to the author as to why it was not.

This gave strength the new "system policies" that were now required by
online hosting systems during a LOGIN process telling users what are the
system policies for acceptable mail. But even with a sysop system policy,
the "intent of the user" was an important factor in any tort, defamation,
malpractice suit.

The exception to the 1986 ECPA rule are employer based mail systems.
Employees do not have the same right covered by the 1986 ECPA provisions.

In any case, to make a long story short, this is why I strongly object to
any design concept attempting to address the "anonymous sender" user problem
that imposes or requires the acceptance of the payload for POST SMTP
analysis.

In my view, it will alter the landscape and will open a major "Pandora Box"
in new legal issues. It already has begun (See Scott Ricther current lawsuit
directly related to "intent" and malpractice),  I strongly believe the
promotion of POST SMTP validation is the wrong direction.

Finally, in direct regards to MARID,  if MARID imposes a 2822 validation
requirement, this will seriously limit or incur a higher development cost
for its consideration into our package.   If it is implemented with a 2822
requirement, that will force our design to provide a DATA hook where this
can be done and still follow the traditional and legally responsible design.
In other words, our MARID implementation will not be for POST SMTP
validation operation.

Hope this remark was not off base.  I am strictly stating how we will be
viewing MARID come implementation.

http://www.santronics.com