Re: MARID Records and the standards process

2004-06-19 14:48:23

On 6/19/2004 3:18 PM, John R Levine wrote:

If experiments show that recipients can use big rich XML data to deal
with spam significantly better, great.  At that point, it should be
easy to send MARID 1.1 with XML along the track.  But you have to do
the work and show us the horse before you can get this cart moving.

I pretty much agree with John but on a slightly different tack.

I think we (for some value of 'we') are trying to sneak email policy into
an authentication scope, which is cart-horse inversion, as John says. If
we really want to detail an email policy architecture, let's work on that
as a discrete problem -- heck, we might even end up with receiver-side XML
architecture of some kind. Instead it seems like we're trying to come up
with excuses to sneak XML into DNS and declare that we've got ourselves an
email policy framework. Backwards.