Re: draft-ietf-marid-submitter-01.txt

2004-06-28 08:44:53

On 6/24/04 11:26 PM, Harry Katz sent forth electrons to convey:

Thanks, Hadmut.
Since the SUBMITTER parameter is derived from RFC 2822 headers, I believe you could reconstruct the chain of submitters from the Resent-From or Resent-Sender headers that are written with each Received header. If there is no Resent-* header, then either the Sender or From headers would contain the SUBMITTER value.

Only if you're assuming that the SUBMITTER is added following 'the rules'. The spec doesn't say that mail with a falsified SUBMITTER should be refused or discarded. (I hate all the pussyfooting around the discard option.)

Also, I have thought of a possible legal problem with SUBMITTTER - The US' YOU CAN SPAM bill, IIRC, forbids falsified headers. Is the envelope part of the header? Arguably not. If not, will future spammers be able to send email with falsified SUBMITTER info but without falsified headers? OTOH, the headers are misleading if they don't match the SUBMITTER, just like a Subject that doesn't describe the body is misleading. So this is probably a non-issue.